September 24-25, 2019
Sheraton Hotel, Lagos
Understanding local governance, the associated risks and how to control them...
“By embarking on a carefully structured and sound risk management framework, a local government can ensure that the limited financial, human and other resources available are directed toward the public’s benefit – rather than spent on failed projects, litigation, losses and claims.”
Unmanaged risk is the greatest source of waste in a local government. The issues confronting a local government entity are in sharp contrast in both origin and design to the issues facing a privately owned company.
While the actual process for managing risk is essentially identical for both private and public entities, it is the differences in how these two organizations are structured and their main, operational goals that create the contrast. The primary ultimate goal in the private sector is to make money sufficient enough to sustain and at least survive; whereas the focus of the public sector is in fact to serve the needs of the public.
Allowing a local government entity to “do more with less” is the mainstay in the justification and continued utilization of a risk management department. The differences outlined here underscore the importance and perhaps necessity of having risk management awareness and training programme, for the complex exposures facing the various departments of a local government, every day.
- Understanding risk management and why it is important for local governments
- The key elements of an effective risk management process
- How to identify and mitigate against the various strategic, operational, financial and other risks facing the local government
- Learn how to implement a risk management framework in your local government
- How to utilize risk management for optimal local council performance and exceed citizens and residents expectations.
Special Guest of Honour
Hon.Prince Toyese Olusi, Executive Chairman, Lagos Island Local Government
Doyin Ola Kasumu. BSc.MSc.MBA.CFC.FCA.
- A fellow chartered accountant, certified financial consultant, IFRS and risk management expert.
- Former bank executive and alumnus of Deloitte, the lead accountancy and consulting firm in the world.
- Member, MCPE training faculty, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria.
Who Should Attend
Executives and staff of local governments, at all levels,accountants and auditors.
- Special guest opening remarks
Setting the context
- Understanding objectives and expectations
- An overview of the two days
- ‘Icebreaker’ exercise
What is Risk Management and why it is important for your local government
- Defining Risk Management
- Understanding the key elements of an effective risk management process
- The key drivers for risk management – including governance requirements
Overview of risk and types of risks
- Understanding the different types of risks that a local government may face, department by department
- Risk categories including strategic, operational, financial, people, information and external risks
The key activities within the risk management cycle-The risk management process
- Risk identification and categorisation
- Risk assessment
- Risk mitigation
- Risk recording-The Risk Register
- Risk monitoring
- Assurance provision
Putting it into practice
Developing and implementing an appropriate framework for risk management in your local government
Mode of Delivery
Illustration, case study and group discussion
How to register
- Online: https://deenotraining.com/registration
- Email: email@example.com
- Nomination form (hard copy): fill and return
Via cheque or bank transfer/ deposit, in favour of Deeno Consulting (Sterling Bank current a/c no. 0008062391).For
Bank transfers/ deposits; please send details of your payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Group booking discount is available for delegates from the same organization, attending the same course thus:
2-5 delegates – 5% discount
> 5 delegates – 10% discount
Early registration at least two weeks to event also attracts additional 5% discount.